Sunday 16 May 2010

Desert Island Discs

Well here is our first ever Desert Island Discs feature. This week we hear from Freddy Vinehill-Cliffe, author of Manshackle. The next castaway will be announced in a fornight. Enjoy,

Callum MacRae
Website Manager - Painter's Chronicle E-Magazine
Email: callummacrae@painterschronicle.co.uk



Choosing five albums to take on a desert island with me is difficult, because I have too many albums I consider ‘favourites.’ I’ll probably want to change these choices in a week, but here goes...

QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE – SONGS FOR THE DEAF
The only one which absolutely, unquestionably has to go on the list, ‘Songs for the Deaf’ is my favourite album ever. My Mum bought this for me when it first came out and I was nine, which seems ridiculous now thinking about some of the lyrics. I went through a phase a few years ago where I decided this was too mainstream for me, then I realised that I was being a douche. Favouritest. Album. Ever.

DEAD KENNEDYS – FRESH FRUIT FOR ROTTING VEGETABLES
I really do wish I was Jello Biafra, even though he is what you might call a ‘tubba lubba’ nowadays. But at this point he was not even a little bit overweight – a fat man may struggle to keep up with such fast songs.

WEEZER – THE BLUE ALBUM
It’s rather morbid to think about what you’d like to be the last thing you hear before you die, but if I had to choose one it would probably be ‘Only In Dreams,’ the closing track from this album. And no, that isn’t just because it’s a long song. Partly though...

TEST ICICLES – FOR SCREENING PURPOSES ONLY
Test Icicles are kind of the band that got me into noise-rock, despite the fact that it’s basically just Bloc Party but angrier. ‘What’s Michelle Like?’ genuinely scared me when I bought this.

PIXIES – DOOLITTLE
The most influential album on me in terms of the music I write. I bought Surfer Rosa first but I’m gonna be CONTRAVERSIAL and say I prefer this one. Soorryyy.

I haven’t put a book because it’s already a week since Callum asked me for this article, and anyway, imagine someone actually wanting to read or even write something! Oh wait...

kthxbai
-          Freddy

No comments:

Post a Comment