Sunday 18 July 2010

Desert Island Discs: Sophie Hoyle's Choices

It was harder than I thought it would be to choose just five albums, as I didn’t realise I liked so many so much; in the end I had to think of albums I wouldn’t get bored of at all and that whittled my list of sixteen down to eight. And after much debate I got it to five, so here they are...

Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More

 I have recently discovered this band from hearing one of their songs on the radio and I quickly downloaded their album. The songs are great, but it’s the instrumentation which makes them fantastic and one of my favourite bands yet. 

Cat Stevens - Remember
This is the one album that I definitely had to have on the list, as it’s the one album I remember from my childhood (I’m trying not to sound too cheesy or sentimental.)  ‘Another Saturday Night’ is definitely a song worth dancing to, or at least it was when I was three years old.

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
I didn’t think I’d see myself choosing an Arctic Monkeys album as one of my top five to take to a desert island, but I couldn’t bring myself to cross them off the list. Apart from the fact that they’re actually very good, I think I chose them because their northern accents and lyrics would remind me of my hometown. If you’ve ever listened to them, you’ll know what I mean.

Simon And Garfunkel - The Definitive
This is another album from my childhood and I’ve actually only got this on tape, as my mum used to play it years and years ago. I would take this album merely for two songs on it: Sound of Silence and Mrs Robinson, which my sister and I used to play over and over again, but I suppose the other songs would be new and interesting music to listen to as well.

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend

I can’t really say much about this album, only that it was one of the albums I had to have. I love every single one of Bob Marley’s songs that I’ve heard.

For my book, I’d like to say I’d take something inspirational, such as Anne Frank’s diary (apart from I’d not read the end) or my ‘Big Book of Knowledge’ so I could die more knowledgeable than I ever had been, but I’ll have to be honest and say I’d take:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K.Rowling

The reason is, I haven’t been able to bring myself to get down to reading it, and having read the other six books, I feel obliged to. I guess the extreme boredom of being on an island with nobody else would almost force me to read it, and anyhow, it’s a long book and would last me a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment